Reach Your Holiday Shoppers the Right Way with Responsive Design
By Megan Ouellet, Director of Marketing
July 15, 2013
Last year, particularly in the fourth quarter, saw a noticeable shift in consumer shopping behaviors. Online sales soared 14% over 2011, reaching $289 billion, and mobile sales drove 11% of the record-setting holiday season. In fact, online sales are growing seven times greater than offline retail, with mobile accounting for one in every 10 eCommerce dollars spent1.
mCommerce is making an impact, and marketers are adapting new best practices to ensure they reach customers across multiple channels. MarketingSherpa found that 58% of email marketers are developing new strategies for mobile smartphones and tablets2.
Consider the stats:
- 44% of emails were opened on a mobile device in the second half of 20123
- 52% of emails were opened on a mobile device in the first half of 20134
- 43% of mobile email users check email at least four times a day5
- Only 2% of recipients will re-open an email on another device6
- 70% of recipients delete an email if it doesn’t look good on their mobile devices7
- Open rates increased 9% and click-through rates increased 113% on average after adopting a responsive design for emails8
You only have one chance to make an impression on your customers and every click counts. As you prepare for the holidays it is imperative that you not only think about the inbox but also the device. Responsive email design allows you to create mobile-friendly emails that look great no matter where they’re opened. It will help you improve engagement and interaction as it greatly enhances usability.